Monday 3 January 2011

Today's Messing About - Weaving




Approx 15cm x 45cm (shell to shell)

Warp: Cotton thread.
Weft: Cotton thread, sisal rope (deconstructed), seaweeds, razor shells, driftwood, silk rod (cut into strips), feathers.
Two shells with naturally occurring holes.


It was fun just to mess about again. I was inspired to make it after thumbing though a couple of books that always make my mouth water with their gorgeous use of textiles fantastic mixes of colours and textures. But so often I only look and admire rather that take the inspiration and make my own. Partly I hesitate as if to copy it directly is wrong (although I am only too happy to use a knitting or dressmaking pattern) Inside a little voice had always nagged at me to be different, not copy, be original, come up with your own, and I am deterred. But I do believe there is a time and a place for me to take the concept of the woven hanging incorporating beach combings and made it my own. So it's been done a million times before, so what, I had fun.

Awful flash photograph, will try to take a better one.

No comments:

Post a Comment